Dallas/Ft. Worth Money Laundering Lawyer
If you’re being investigated for money laundering, don’t wait to hire an experienced Dallas/Ft. Worth money laundering lawyer to help you build a strong defense. Money laundering charges are typically added to other federal charges, and convictions can carry serious penalties with long-term consequences, including prison time, fines, and a criminal record that will follow you forever.
Hiring a money laundering lawyer from Westfall Sellers might be the best decision you make if you’re being investigated for money laundering. Our lawyers have years of experience in defending these federal white collar cases, and will work tirelessly to get the best possible outcome for you. We understand that money laundering charges can be frightening and overwhelming, but we are here to help you through this difficult time.
If you need a white collar criminal lawyer in Dallas who you can trust, call Westfall Sellers at (817) 928-4222 today.
What is money laundering?
According to Texas Penal Code § 34.02, a person commits an offense if the person knowingly or intentionally:
- Acquires or maintains an interest in, conceals, possesses, transfers, or transports the proceeds of criminal activity;
- Conducts, supervises, or facilitates a transaction involving the proceeds of criminal activity;
- Invests, expends, or receives, or offers to invest, expend, or receive, the proceeds of criminal activity or funds that the person believes are the proceeds of criminal activity; or
- Finances or invests or intends to finance or invest funds that the person believes are intended to further the commission of criminal activity.
In short, money laundering is the process of making illegally obtained money look like it came from a legitimate source. This is done through a series of steps in order to disguise the origins of the money. Illegal money can be obtained through a variety of means, including extortion (read more about Texas extortion laws), drug trafficking, and tax evasion.
Money laundering examples
Money laundering can take many forms. A few examples of common money laundering techniques include:
- Structuring: This involves making multiple deposits or withdrawals in amounts that are below the reporting threshold.
- Layering: This involves moving money through multiple accounts, offshore entities, and businesses in order to hide it from law enforcement.
- Smurfing: This involves using multiple individuals to deposit or withdraw money in amounts that are below the reporting threshold.
- Shell Companies: This involves using shell companies or offshore entities to hide money from law enforcement.
If you’re being investigated for money laundering, it’s important to seek the advice of an experienced Dallas/Ft. Worth money laundering lawyer to avoid serious penalties.
Penalties for money laundering in Texas
We’ve established that money laundering is a very serious offense, but what is the charge for money laundering in Texas? Money laundering is a felony charge in Texas that carries harsh penalties in addition to whatever penalties are already being faced for the underlying offense. Therefore, it is important to seek legal assistance from the best white collar defense firm Dallas has to offer if you are being investigated for this offense.
How many years do you get for money laundering in Texas? In general, here’s what you can expect in terms of white collar crime sentencing:
- State jail felony: 180 days to two years in state jail and/or a fine of up to $10,000
- Third-degree felony: Two to ten years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000
- Second-degree felony: Two to 20 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000
- First-degree felony: Five to 99 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000
Because money laundering is an add-on crime, if you’re being charged with money laundering, you’re likely also being charged with the underlying crime. For example, if you’re accused of money laundering in connection with a drug charge, you would face both the money laundering charge and the drug charge.
The best way to avoid these serious penalties is to seek experienced Dallas/Ft. Worth money laundering lawyer who can fight aggressively for your rights and work to get the best possible outcome.
How a money laundering lawyer can help: possible defenses against money laundering charges
Working with a Dallas law firm for theft and fraud defense that has experience working specifically with money laundering cases is the best chance you have of avoiding conviction.
Your Dallas/Ft. Worth money laundering lawyer will work with you to evaluate the evidence and develop a defense strategy tailored to your specific case. Here are some possible defenses against money laundering charges:
- Lack of knowledge: This defense asserts that you did not know that the funds were illegally obtained.
- Duress or coercion: If you were coerced or forced into participating in the transaction, this can be an effective defense.
- Entrapment: This occurs when law enforcement agents entrapped you into committing the underlying crime.
- Mistake of fact: It is possible to have made an honest mistake, and not have any intent to commit the crime.
No matter what your individual situation is, it’s important to speak with an attorney who can advise you on the best course of action and ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process.
Accused of laundering money in Texas? Call the white collar crime lawyers from Westfall Sellers today!
If you’re being investigated for money laundering in Texas, it’s important to seek legal assistance from a qualified federal defense lawyer. The Dallas/Ft. Worth money laundering lawyers at Westfall Sellers have experience helping our clients clear their names in federal and state courts. In addition to developing a strong defense strategy, we can also provide guidance on your obligations under the law if you are being investigated for a similar crime.
Don’t wait. You only get one shot at this. Call Westfall Sellers at (817) 928-4222 or contact us online for a free consultation today.
Why Choose Westfall Sellers?
- Trial-tested experience
- Free initial case consultation
- In-house investigation services
- Agile, dedicated team
- Award Winning Law Firm
Get Help Now
You only get one shot at this.
Call or message us today.
817-928-4222 Schedule Consultation