Dallas/Fort Worth Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Dallas/Fort Worth
Catastrophic injuries can have life-altering consequences for both victims and their families, impacting the finances, mental health, and overall quality of life for large groups of people connected to the accident.
While these accidents are often caused by another party’s negligence, fair compensation can be exceedingly difficult to come by. You cannot expect the insurance company or the court to do right by you, no matter how severe your injuries or how egregious the other party’s negligence.
Hiring a catastrophic injury lawyer is often the only way to protect the interests of you and your loved ones following a catastrophic accident. Aside from helping you get the compensation you deserve, your catastrophic injury lawyer can navigate the complexities of litigation and allow you and your family time to begin healing during this difficult time.
If you’re looking for experienced and dedicated civil lawyers in Fort Worth or Dallas to represent you in your catastrophic injury case, call Westfall Sellers today at (817) 928-4222 for a free case evaluation.
Why hire a catastrophic injury lawyer
Victims are often offered settlements after catastrophic accidents, either from the insurance company or the company responsible for the negligence that caused the accident. So you might be wondering, why even hire a catastrophic injury lawyer at all?
Because those settlement amounts are likely to pale in comparison to what you and your family will actually need. These companies wave lowball offers in the faces of victims who are in the most desperate time of their lives — and those people often take them. But those settlements don’t factor in a lifetime of medical bills, the inability to provide for yourself or your family, or the extensive emotional distress that you’ve suffered at their expense.
If you want to get what you truly deserve, you’re likely going to have to file a catastrophic injury claim, and navigating the legal complexities of this type of claim without a catastrophic injury lawyer is nearly impossible. Your attorney will, among other things:
- Investigate and gather evidence for your claim
- Establish liability beyond a doubt
- Calculate the damages that you should receive
- Help you maximize your total compensation
Because much of this will be done in a court of law, not just any civil lawyer in Dallas/Fort Worth will do. You’ll want a trial attorney with experience arguing cases in front of a judge and jury and winning. Our background as Fort Worth/Dallas federal criminal defense attorneys uniquely prepares us for bringing a convincing argument to the courtroom and showing the court why you deserve maximum compensation.
What is considered a catastrophic injury?
We all know that catastrophic injuries sound bad, but what makes a claim catastrophic? An injury is considered catastrophic when “the direct and proximate consequences of which permanently prevent an individual from performing any gainful work.”
What are the long-term effects of catastrophic injuries? While catastrophic injuries have far-reaching medical implications that can be incredibly expensive, the long-term effect of catastrophic injuries of paramount concern is the reduction of the ability to earn a living for yourself and your family. This compounding consequence of being unable to work will prevent you from paying for your long-term medical expenses and maintaining any reasonable quality of life.
Most common catastrophic injuries
The most common catastrophic injuries are injuries to the spinal cord, back, or brain, as well as any other injuries that significantly affect one’s abilities and motor functions.
- Spinal cord, neck, and back injuries often lead to partial or complete paralysis, affecting motor function and sensory abilities. Victims with spinal cord injuries may require lifelong medical care, rehabilitation, and assistive devices to enhance their mobility and quality of life.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) occur when a blow to the head disrupts brain function. Consequences of a TBI can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage, resulting in cognitive impairments, memory loss, and motor skill deficiencies.
- Exposure to toxic materials can cause blood disorders, cancer, brain damage, pulmonary conditions, heart conditions, and nervous system disorders, among others.
- Amputations can have an immediate and severe impact on a person’s ability to perform even the simplest tasks.
- Severe burns can result in a lifetime of excruciating pain via constant surgeries, skin grafts, and rehabilitation to recover physical function. Severe burns can also cause immense amounts of mental anguish and psychological trauma.
How do you treat a catastrophic injury? One of the primary reasons that catastrophic injuries can be so devastating is because they often require years of surgeries, physical therapy, medication management, and mental health care just to maintain — and often come with consequences that will never really heal.
Common causes of catastrophic injuries
Catastrophic injuries can be suffered in a variety of settings, and are very often the result of another party’s negligence. Some of the most common causes of catastrophic injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: High-speed collisions, rollovers, and crashes involving commercial or personal vehicles can result in severe harm, including spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries.
- Workplace accidents: Construction sites, industrial facilities, and other hazardous work environments pose significant risks to the people who work in them. Accidents involving heavy machinery, falls from heights, explosions, or exposure to toxic substances are all possibilities in the workplace.
- Medical malpractice: Mistakes made by healthcare professionals can turn vital treatment into catastrophic injuries. Surgical mistakes, misdiagnoses, and bad medication prescribing can all result in traumatic injuries for patients.
- Defective products: Manufacturers or retailers can be held responsible for damages resulting from faulty products. Some defective products that commonly cause injury include automobiles and other machinery, unsafe consumer goods, and dangerous pharmaceuticals.
Because traumatic injuries can come from anywhere, you’ll need a catastrophic injury lawyer who has a wide range of expertise. Not every truck accident lawyer in Texas will also have experience as a Fort Worth/Dallas product liability attorney, but the attorneys at Westfall Sellers do.
Contact the Dallas/Fort Worth catastrophic injury lawyers at Westfall Sellers today
Catastrophic injuries can have devastating and permanent effects on victims and their entire families, but with a catastrophic injury lawyer, you can give yourself a chance at recovering what’s yours.
Although you cannot undo the harm done to you and your family, you can make sure that medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, and loss of ability to work do not cast a shadow for generations to come.
You’ll need the best personal injury lawyers in Texas if you want to walk away with the compensation that you truly deserve. Our background as top criminal defense attorneys in Fort Worth and Dallas uniquely prepares us for litigation, and we are ready to fight for your rights.
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury due to another party’s negligence, call the catastrophic injury attorneys at Westfall Sellers today at (817) 928-4222 or contact us online to begin getting what you deserve.